Thursday, August 29, 2013

By Small & Simple Things . . .

I have spoken of the horrors that have occurred in the last few years, but I have not yet written a blog about the incredible changes that have happened in my life that have helped me to progress into the man I am today.  Many of you are probably familiar with the scripture that speaks about great things coming to pass from small and simple things.  Within this blog, I will share some of those small and simple things that have changed my life forever . . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Spring of 2010, I was finishing up a semester at BYU-Idaho and was mostly just focused on my studies.  I was trying to go on two dates a week and was successful sometimes with that goal, but definitely not always.  I met some wonderful people and was having a great time, but never really found the one I could talk to about everything that was in my mind . . . until one day, on Facebook!

I remember sitting down at my computer, getting ready to do some homework (while also checking my Facebook like most students my age do), when I received a friend request almost immediately followed by a message.  It said, "hello!" I had no idea who this person was, but it seemed that we had a friend in common.  All I remember was the crippling effect her smile had on me.  Well . . . as most of you may know, I am not one to ignore a friendly hello, and I returned it with a, "hello!"

We talked for a minute or two when I received a call to go to some ward activity, at which time I politely excused myself and offered to talk the following day.  This beautiful girl accepted my apology and said that tomorrow was totally fine.  I don't remember what we did at the activity that night because I couldn't get that smile out of my mind for some reason.

Well, the next day rolled around and we talked . . . this time for a little more than a few minutes.  The next day and the next day . . . and the next day rolled around, until we found ourselves talking every night about completely random things.  What happened to us that day, differences in our countries and cultures, what it's like to be a student at BYU-Idaho, goals and ambitions, the church, many different things.  We would laugh together about the silliest things and cry together in times of emotion.  Never had I felt such a strong connection to anyone.

This went on for a few months and we had talked (I think she thought jokingly) about meeting some day, when one night came around and I told her . . . "Guess what!" She responded, not surprisingly, "what?!" . . . "I am coming to Ecuador!!" It took her a minute to analyze what she had just been told and then she got so excited and we met in person a few months later.  It was an incredible experience and I remember some of the first words that she told me when I got there, "you are so handsome!"  This was not a common occurrence for me and made me feel like a million dollars and freshly made fry sauce . . . man, I love that stuff.

Pizza Night at Home
We had obviously skyped prior to this and had seen pictures on Facebook and MSN, but it was truly amazing to connect in person and embrace with the only person I was able to share my entire life story with and not feel like I was being judged.  I remember to this day what she was wearing when she met me at the airport for the first time . . . and I will never forget the first time I looked into her eyes and held her in my arms.

Now, I know many of you are probably thinking, "did you kiss her?!" The answer to that is . . . heck yes!!  I had been saving that first kiss for the right girl and though it may have been nice to experience a kiss before that time, saving it for the woman I was going to marry (although she didn't know it at the time) was bliss.  Granted, I didn't really have many opportunities to kiss a girl before that time, but I felt at that moment like there was a reason for that.

Delicioso!
My heavenly father was trying to keep me from getting hurt, which can happen very easily with me . . . he wanted my first kiss to be with someone that wouldn't throw me on the street as soon as a guy walked past that had more money or a ripped body.  She had already proven this to me many times . . . God knows what kind of girl she is and what her deepest feelings are and I am grateful that he brought us together.  It has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, but it really has been the best years of my life and they will only get better when we are together forever.

I LOVE this Family!
I have been down to see her 5 times now and each time I see her, the love is not only still there, but stronger.  Her mother told her that it seems like every time I come down it seems like a magical experience for me and, she is right.  I was welcomed into the Zamora home with open arms and open hearts.  I met the entire extended family on my first trip and absolutely fell in love with them.

I remember on one of my first dates with my (now) fiance, we were at the Iguana Park in downtown Guayaquil, cautiously walking to avoid the Iguanas above that were targeting innocent pedestrians.  I tell you openly that you have not lived until you have been pooped on by an Iguana.  It is the experience of a lifetime . . . lol, and the horror and then laughter that erupts afterward is priceless.

Delicious Cuy . . . a delicacy

of Cuenca, Ecuador


On one of my other trips, she and I had Cuy for the first time.  It was a neat experience and we had to try it at least once.  Well . . . we finished our meal and about 10 minutes after we left the restaurant . . . we were both desperate to find a bathroom.  It seems that it is always in Cuenca where we struggle with finding restrooms to use, but those stories are for a later time.  Long story short, we finally found a restroom and survived another day.

We have shared many great experiences together and our lives are just starting, but we are so excited for what the years to come will bring.  Some exciting things are happening in our lives, and though times may seem hard right now, I am grateful to have her as my support.  I don't want it any other way.  The only thing that could be better is if we were in the same country, but once again, God has stepped in and I now work for an airline and am moving next month to company headquarters.

Our Engagement Day
If it weren't for that simple message and friend request, I might never have realized what I was capable of in this life.  I may have never found out what it is like to truly confide in someone.  I have learned not to trust everyone, but my fiance is someone I will always trust and for me, that is peace.  What more do I need than a woman I can trust in for a companion and a God that is rooting for us every second of every day.  That is the coolest feeling in the world.

This girl is my happiness and I am grateful she thought I was good enough to be with her.  She makes me laugh at the silliest things, she makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes, but I tell you what.  When that smile comes across her face, I just break down.  What a wonderful woman I have by my side.  Heavenly Father really is there, and yes, he does answer every child's prayer.

To my beautiful fiance . . . I love you with my life.  Thank you for choosing me baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment